We stumbled upon this estate while driving some back roads on Martinique. It is a historic monument, with the construction apparently begun in the late 1920s.
domainelordbyronchateauauberychateau auberydomaine lord byronmartiniqueducos
The architects were Italian: Volpi and Balesco.
It is claimed by some to be stolen from Lord Biron [sic] after being built in the 19th Century with slave labor.
The property was valued at 235,000 FF in 1973, when it was abandoned by the Ministry of Agriculture.
In 1954, it was sold to the departement of Martinique.
It was built on 5 hectares of land, about 12 acres.
There are several outbuildings on the property.
Eugène Aubéry died in 1942.
The property is located off Route N9 in the quartier of Croix Rivail.
The Château Aubéry was under construction from 1928 to about 1931 by its owner Eugène Aubéry in the commune of Ducos. It was named a historic monument in 1992.
The phrase "Domaine Lord Byron" was apparently added by squatters who claimed to be descended from him and to own the property.
We understand that the chateau was acquired by the commune of Ducos in the late 1980s, but that it had been unoccupied for about 15 years and was substantially deteriorated. The upkeep has been too much, and the property has been abandoned again.
This looks official, but our maps and other information identify the property as Château Aubéry.